Mission: To provide a safe and enjoyable street experience for everyone in our community.
We are a team of six uniformed officers who do foot patrol in pairs within the three Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) attending a variety of calls for services ranging in scope from:
- Minor Disturbances;
- Individuals requiring access to shelter and/or nutrition;
- Suspicious persons & loitering;
- Individuals exhibiting behaviours typical to those dealing with mental illness;
- Community outreach;
- Safety education, city bylaw information and enforcement;
- Providing directions and business information;
- Facilitate partnerships with local businesses, residents and community support organizations in order to identify potential issues and areas of concern;
- Persons injured or in need of ambulance/medical attention where it is not a result of criminal conduct;
- Attend special events and functions in the 3 BIDs (community involvement).
The Community Support Officers are designated as Bylaw Enforcement Officers for the following:
- Panhandling Bylaw (#7850)
- Public Spitting, Urination & Defecation Bylaw (#8354)
- Bicycle Bylaw (#6884)
- Parks Usage Bylaw (#7767)
- Skateboarding & Pedestrian-related sections of the Traffic Bylaw (#7200)
- Waste & Dumping Bylaw (#5713)
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday & Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Areas of Coverage :
Downtown, Riversdale & Broadway Business Improvement Districts (BIDs)